Requesting an Extension
If you need some extra time to prepare your taxes on time, you can get an additional 6 months to file your personal or non-personal return without facing any penalties. For this, we can submit a tax extension application to the IRS on your behalf.
There is a section in your sidebar - Extensions - which allows you to view your extensions at any time, as well as request any new extensions.
- Requesting a Personal Extension (Federal & State tax returns)
- What to Know About Extensions
- Extension Types
- Requesting a Non-Personal Extension (Corporations, Trusts, etc)
- Requesting Additional Extension (through Dec 15)
- Paying for the Extension Request
- History of Extension Requests
Requesting a Personal Extension (Federal, State)
To request an extension, here is the direct link: Request extension.
This is also accessible directly from the dashboard of your portal and via the left sidebar (Extensions).
What to Know About Extensions
There are a few important points to note regarding an extension for a Federal tax return:
- The extension itself is free but we require a $50 retainer toward your tax preparation bill. When you request an extension, the system will generate a bill for $50 - only after it is paid the federal extension request will be sent to your tax preparer.
- Until the $50 bill is paid, we will not be able to file the extension request.
- If you have already made a $350 prepayment in this calendar year, you will not be required to pay the $50 retainer
- The extension grants you additional time to file your U.S. tax return, not additional time to pay your U.S. taxes. If you owe any taxes, the IRS will begin to calculate interest and penalties from April 15th.
- If you have not filed for many years, please mention this to your tax preparer so that we can discuss with you whether an extension is in your best interest.
- If you need to request an extension for a non-personal return, these may require separate extension request forms and separate retainers (see Requesting a Non-Personal Extension below).
Once the extension request is submitted, the system will automatically generate a bill for $50. Your payment of this retainer bill authorizes us to proceed with filing the extension request and the money remains in your account.
We can only process the Federal extension request if we receive payment no later than April 14th. Anything after that (within 24 hours of the extension request deadline) is too close to the deadline for us to ensure it will be processed.
We offer three extension types:
- Personal - This is for requesting a Federal Extension for filing personal U.S. tax returns. A Federal Extension allows taxpayers to extend the filing deadline to October 15. If you live in the U.S., you must request an extension by April 15th. If you live abroad, you can request a personal tax extension until June 15.
- Non-personal - This is for requesting an extension for filing tax returns for your corporation, partnership, Trust, LLC, estate, etc.
- Additional Extension (Dec 15th) - If you live outside of the U.S. and sweating the October 15 tax filing deadline, you can ask for a discretionary 2-month extension for filing your tax return. This extension is only possible at certain times of the year.
Requesting a Non-Personal Extension (Corporation, Trust, etc)
To request a non-personal extension:
1. Go to the Extensions section, then click Request Extension.
2. Select Non-personal extension type from the list, then select an entity from the list. If you haven't added an entity to our system yet, select Create New Entity, otherwise select the entity for which you want to request an extension. Click Next.
3. Answer several simple questions, then click Submit.
Once the extension request is submitted, the system will automatically generate a bill. Your payment of this bill authorizes us to proceed with filing the extension request.
If your extension cannot be filed yet, we will let you know
Unlike personal extensions which can only be requested at certain times of the year (we turn on the button Jan 1, and turn it off June 14 (since taxpayers residing abroad can file extensions until June 15)) - non-personal extensions can be requested anytime throughout the year. However, although you can request the non-personal extension at any time of year, it may not be possible to file it yet.
If it is not yet possible to file (example: if you request an extension for your US Corporation in November, it is not possible to file it until after the new year), you will receive an email notification of the filing delay and you will see information about this in your home area as well as the extension page.
See a banner in your profile.
Requesting an Additional Extension (Dec 15)
There are a few important points to note regarding an additional extension for a Federal tax return:
- An additional extension may be requested from the IRS until Dec 15 only if you are living abroad and have already filed an extension until Oct 15. You must have confirmation of a regular extension & currently residing abroad.
- This additional extension is not electronic and must be snail-mailed. If you would like us to mail it for you, we provide this service for $50.
- Radio silence - there will be no confirmation from the IRS of its receipt & it is not guaranteed.
- The extension itself is free but we require a $350 retainer toward your tax preparation bill. When you request an extension, the system will generate a bill for $350 - only after it is paid the additional extension request will be sent to your tax preparer.
- Until the $350 bill is paid, we will not be able to file the additional extension request. If you would like us to mail it for you, we provide this service for $50. If you already have credits in the system, we will automatically apply them towards your extension request.
To request an additional extension:
1. Click Request Extension button on on the homepage of your personal account or go to the Extensions section, then click Request Extension.
2. Select Personal extension type from the list, then click Next.
3. Answer several simple questions, then click Submit.
Once the additional extension request is submitted, the system will automatically generate a bill for $350. Your payment of this retainer bill authorizes us to proceed with filing the additional extension request and the money remains in your account.
Paying for the Extension Request
To pay the retainer bill,
1. Go to the Bills & Payments section, and review your bills.
2. Click Pay Outstanding Bills.
Note: If you have several bills pending, you may choose to only pay for the Extension Request at this time. To do this, click Pay Selected, then select Extension Request.
3. Enter your billing details. Note that all payments are made through a secure processing service. We don’t store your payment details.
4. Click Continue to proceed with the payment.
If you can't pay with your credit card, please contact our support about other payment options.
History of Extension Requests
To see all your Extension Requests history, go to the Extensions section. Here you can see your extensions of all types for all years:
- Type - The extension type. For non-personal extension, legal entity types are displayed.
- Requested - The date the extension was requested.
- Paid - The date the extension was paid. If it isn't paid yet, you can pay for it by clicking on the Pay Bill button.
- Filed - The date the Acceptance confirmation document was uploaded.
- Expiration - The date to which the deadline for filing tax documents has been extended according to the prepared Extension.
- Confirm - The link to the Acceptance confirmation document. Click to download it.
- Actions - Click the eye icon to view the information provided by you for an Extension. If you have ordered an extension request but have not yet paid the bill, you may cancel your order by clicking the bin icon.