Support Options Overview
To make the tax preparation process as smooth and easy as possible, we offer a variety of different support options to our clients: you can take a look at our written guides or contact our experts via phone, email, or chat. We offer the following resources to our clients:
- Chat with our team in real-time
- A free introductory phone consultation with one of our tax advisors
- Unlimited email communication with your tax preparer
- Tax Planning Consultation Service for complex questions outside tax prep scope
- Free email support
- Free phone support
Chat with our team
To ask a question:
- Click on the blue callout icon at the right.
- An Online Consultation window will pop up. You’ll be able to see whether our support staff is currently online and who’s available. At TFX, we don’t use chatbots so you’ll be connected to a member of our support team directly.
- Type your message, then press Enter to send it.
Free Introductory phone consultation
New clients may request a free Introductory Phone Consultation with one of our tax advisors.
This consultation is offered free of charge but we do require that our clients pay a $50 retainer which goes towards their tax preparation fees beforehand. The consultation may last up to 30 minutes. During the consultation, we’ll have a chance to discuss your tax situation, how we can help you, how our process works, what information we’ll need from you to proceed, etc.
Please note - the intro consultation is for prospects looking to file with TFX - it is not for advanced tax planning questions. If you are looking for tax planning, we have a specific service which you can also book directly in your portal (click consult -> Tax Planning).
Common Topics for Intro call
- The optimal method of filing (how many years to file, whether to file using the Streamlined Procedure, etc.).
- What documents we’ll need to proceed.
- How to report a non-resident spouse and their income.
Scheduling Free Intro Call
To schedule an Introductory Phone Consultation:
1. Click Phone Consult > Free Intro Consultation.
2. Choose a date on the calendar, and then select one of the 30-minute slots available. Please note that all the times shown are for the New York time zone.
3. Select the date and time of your choosing. If you wish to make a change, click BACK. Otherwise, enter your questions and anything else you want us to know, then click Proceed to Pay.
4. Enter your card details, then click Pay $50. This money will remain in your account as credit and may be used to pay for tax preparation services in the future.
5. After your payment has been processed, you’ll have the option to edit your brief outline of what you would like to discuss. You can also add additional questions. Once you’ve finished, click Submit.
To dial in: Call conference line + Enter pin code
Upon booking, you will also receive an email confirmation with the date, time, and dial-in instructions.
To get connected to your tax advisor you will need to enter the indicated pin. If you’re calling from abroad, we recommend that you use Google Voice on your desktop or mobile to call free of charge.
You may call in to join the consultation call through any method you wish - Google Voice, Skype, or simply by calling the number.
Please add a reminder to your calendar and call at the chosen time.
Note: If you are unable to dial in at this time, you must reschedule 24 hours in advance.
Can't Find Phone Consultation on the Menu?
We offer free Introductory Phone Consultations for new clients to help them get started with TFX. Once you‘ve signed your Engagement Letter, we no longer consider you a new client, so the Phone Consultation option will no longer be available. However, if you would like to schedule a Phone Consultation, you may contact your tax preparer.
Contacting Your Tax Preparer
During the tax preparation process, you may have additional questions you wish to ask your tax preparer. The TFX staff can be reached by email or phone (see Consultation Options).
To contact your tax preparer by email, use your normal email address to contact your preparer directly. Alternatively, you can send your preparer a message using our messaging system.
For your convenience, all the messages that you receive from TFX are stored in the Messages section.
Viewing Messages Received from TFX
To access messages received from your tax preparer and other members of the TFX team, navigate to the Messages section. If you have asked for assistance while completing our Tax Questionnaire your questions and our answers are also displayed here.
The following notification will be displayed if you have any unread messages available in the Messages section:
The messages are categorized by the date received. To view the message, click the subject at the left. The message content is displayed at the right.
You can display only unread messages to identify the emails that need your attention.
Old messages that are no longer relevant can be archived by clicking the Archive button. These messages are removed from your Inbox and can be accessed in the Archived folder.
Searching the Messages
To search within the messages, type any word from the subject or from the message body in the Search field, and then click Enter. The messages list will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters.
Composing New Messages
You may send emails to your tax preparer or to the TFX support team just from your Client Area. To do so:
- Navigate to the Messages section
- Click the Compose button.
- Select the recipient(s) in the To field. You can send emails to your tax preparer, second tax preparer (if you have one) or to the TFX support team. Add several recipients if needed.
- Write the message subject.
- Complete the message body. You may use styles and apply formatting, as well as adding bullets or numbered lists.
- Click Attach file to add files to the message. You may attach the files from your computer or the ones that have been already uploaded to TFX system.
- Click Send.
Replying to Messages
To reply to the message received from the member of the TFX team:
- Click the message subject to display the message, then click the Reply button.
- Click To field to add additional recipients if needed.
- Write the message body. You may use styles and apply formatting, as well as adding bullets or numbered lists.
- Click Attach file to add files to the message. You may attach the files from your computer or the ones that have been already uploaded to the TFX system.
- Click Send Message.
You may attach files to your emails sent from TFX. There are two options available:
- adding files from your computer
- adding files that have been already uploaded to the TFX system
To attach files from your computer:
- Click Attach File, and then drag and drop your chosen files into the dedicated upload area, OR click the Drop files here to upload button.
- Select the tax year for which you are uploading the file and add the description (optional). The files are not only added to the message but also uploaded to the TFX system. They will be available in the Docs You Uploaded section.
To attach files that have been already uploaded to the TFX system:
- Click Attach File, navigate to Attach uploaded files tab, then click the year to which the file belongs.
- Select one or more files and/or folders, then click Add selected files button.
To delete the attached file from the message, hover the mouse cursor over the file thumbnail, then click the recycle bin icon.
To delete all files attached to the message, click Delete all files.
If there is an issue you would like to discuss with management (Perhaps you want to let us know how swimmingly things are going!), please follow the steps below:
1. Browse to Messages, then click Talk to Management link, then select the NO option to send a message to the TFX Management Team.
2. Enter a subject for your message, write the message, and click Send.
You can also use this option to thank your tax preparer!
Tax Planning Consultation Service
If you don’t need immediate help preparing your return but have some complicated tax questions you need to be answered, you may wish to discuss your situation with an expert. This is why we offer the Tax Planning Consultation Service which allows you to speak directly with an Expatriate Tax Expert.
Before the consultation, you’ll be able to submit a brief overview of your situation and a list of topics that you would like to discuss, and any questions that you have. Our Expatriate Tax Expert will review the information provided and, if necessary, request additional details.
If your inquiry will require additional analysis, we’ll notify you in advance and you’ll have the opportunity to decide how you'd like to proceed.
During the Tax Planning Session, you’ll talk with the Expatriate Tax Expert on the phone. They’ll answer the questions you submitted in advance as well as any further questions that might arise during the consultation.
They’ll likely also ask additional questions which will allow them to provide further guidance. By having the chance to talk with an expert in the field of international taxation, you’ll learn how to handle issues that may not even have been aware of before.
Personal 30-minute consultation by phone or Skype with our Expatriate Tax Expert costs $250. To book a consultation, you first need to register in our system.
Scheduling Tax Planning Phone Consultation
To schedule a Tax Planning Phone Consultation, login to your TFX account and:
1. Click Phone Consult > Tax Planning.
2. Choose a date on the calendar, and then select one of the 30-minute slots available on the right. Switch the calendar to your timezone and see the local time. Select the desired date & time and click on
3. Please double-check the date and time of the consultation. If you wish to make a change, click Back to picking the date. Otherwise, tell us what you would like to discuss, add specific questions, then select I agree to the terms and conditions above the check box, and click Proceed to Pay.
4. Enter your card details, then click Pay $250.
5. After your payment has been processed, you’ll be presented with a brief outline of what you would like to discuss.
You’ll also receive an email listing the date and time of your call as well as the phone number to call. If you’re calling from abroad, we recommend that you use Google Voice on your desktop or mobile to call free of charge.
You can call in to join the consultation call through any method you wish - Google Voice, Skype, or simply by calling the number.
Please add a reminder to your calendar and call at the chosen time.
Note: If you are unable to dial in at this time, you must reschedule 48 hours in advance.
Contacting TFX by Email
Do you have a question that you’d like to discuss in writing? We’re ready to help!
To contact our support team by email:
2. Your default mail program will open. Write your message, then click Send.
If you have questions you wish to discuss over the phone, you may call us online for free.
To make a free online call:
1. Browse to taxesforexpats.com, click Contact at the top of the page, then click Call Now for Free.
2. A pop-up will appear. Click Allow to give the online call service permission to access your microphone.
You may also request a callback from us.