My sole source of income is a rental property. Do I have to file?

If your sole source of income is a rental property, whether you need to file will depend on two things: your gross rental income (before expenses) and whether or not you receive a Form 1099-MISC.

If your gross rental income is above the filing threshold, you must file.  

Additionally, if you receive a Form 1099-MISC (usually from a management company handling the rental), you must file even if your gross income is below the filing threshold.

This rule applies to both federal and state returns.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us