Voting & State Tax Obligations

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act allows citizens overseas to vote in the state where they last resided before leaving the U.S. You may continue to vote in state elections no matter how many years have elapsed, even if you no longer have a residence in that state and are uncertain whether you ever plan to return.

Voting in national elections does not affect whether you’ll be required to pay state taxes. However, voting in state and local elections means that you may end up paying state and local taxes.

The U.S. Department of State confirms that residing abroad without a set date and intent to return to a particular state or to the U.S. at all will not result in loss of U.S. citizenship. Selecting "I am a U.S. citizen residing outside the United States, and my return is not certain" when voting will not affect your U.S. citizenship.

How can I be sure that I don't have to file?

First, we’ll analyze your former state’s tax residency position to verify whether you now qualify as a nonresident of your former state.

It can depend on a multitude of factors and the requirements vary by state. Even if we confirm that you are indeed no longer a resident of your former state for tax purposes, there is still a risk that State Tax Department will inquire about why you haven’t filed a state return and send you a tax assessment for the year(s) that you didn't file.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us