Is a non-resident with a U.S. brokerage account and tax withheld eligible for a refund?

Yes. Firstly, tax withheld on capital gains can be recovered and you can get a refund. Secondly, if there was also dividend income, then you may be eligible for a reduced tax rate if your country of residence has a tax treaty with the U.S.

We can file a non-resident U.S. tax return (Form 1040-NR) for you to allow you to claim this refund. The cost of filing a standard 1040-NR form is $450. If you also need W-2, 1099, etc. the cost will be $500.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us