Are Canadian RRSP & TFSA accounts reportable?

RRSP & TFSA - report on FBAR & 8938

For U.S. tax purposes, both RRSPs and TFSAs are considered bank accounts over which you have signatory authority. Therefore, they are required to be reportable on FBAR and Form 8938.

RRSP - not reportable as PFIC

Reporting regime for RRSP and RRIF was simplified by Notice 2003-75 for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2002. Income in the Canadian registered plans does not need to be recognized in the US until distribution. Upon distribution, the taxable portion reported as ordinary income. Form 8621 is not required.

For more details - see Canadian Income Reporting

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us