Is it possible to rollover a pension fund or superannuation benefits into a U.S.-based account without owing taxes?

If U.S. citizen who worked in Australia wanted to transfer his superannuation pension to the U.S., it would be impossible to roll those funds over into a U.S.-based retirement account without paying taxes.

Superannuation is considered a foreign non-IRS qualified retirement plan and any transfer of these funds is a taxable event.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us