I am a U.S. citizen. My spouse is not a U.S. citizen and doesn't have a Green Card. What documentation will I need to provide for my spouse?

It depends on which filing status you use. You have three options:

  • Married Filing Jointly (MFJ)
  • Married Filing Separately (MFS).
  • Head of Household (HOH) (only possible if you have children).

To file as MFJ, we can apply for an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) for your spouse when we file your return. In order to request an ITIN for your spouse, we will need a certified copy of their foreign passport.

To file as MFS or HOH (a more beneficial filing status than MFS) you do not need to provide any documentation for your spouse whatsoever.   

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us