Civilians working overseas in support of U.S. armed forces: Are you eligible to exclude income? For a filing extension?

While civilians working overseas do not qualify for the military pay exclusion for combat zone service (this exclusion only applies to members of the U.S. Armed Forces), they do qualify for an extension of time to file their income tax return and pay any taxes owed. This extension is valid for 180 days after your last day in a combat zone. During this period, no interest or penalties will be accrued.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us